Dr. Naim strives to help you achieve your goals and be the best possible you.
Dr. H. Joseph Naim is a board-certified surgeon specializing in bariatric surgery. Dr. Naim has successfully performed more than 2,000 weight loss procedures using the latest equipment to ensure the best possible patient outcomes. He has dedicated his career to helping patients achieve their weight loss goals and manage obesity-related health complications, including:
- Heart disease and high blood pressure
To learn more about our expert doctor and how you can receive the best care in the southern California area, contact our office today to learn more and to schedule a free consultation. We look forward to helping you achieve your goals and become the healthiest possible version of yourself.
Bariatric Surgeries Offered by Dr. Naim
There are a wide variety of weight loss surgeries that are available at our center. Dr. Naim has extensive experience and expertise in a variety of bariatric procedures, including:
- Gastric bypass surgery — This procedure reduces your stomach size and reroutes the digestive system so that you feel full faster and absorb fewer calories. During the surgery, Dr. Naim will divide the stomach into two sections. The small, top section of the stomach will hold the food. Dr. Naim will also attach the top portion of the small intestine to the upper part of the stomach. This allows the food to enter the intestine faster so that fewer calories are absorbed.
- Lap-Band® placement — Gastric bands are a highly effective, adjustable, and reversible form of weight loss surgery. During the procedure, Dr. Naim will place an inflatable ring around the stomach to divide it into two sections. Once you have healed from the initial surgery, Dr. Naim will inflate the balloon inside the band with saline injected through a port located just under the skin of your abdomen. Once inflated, the band reduces hunger and slows the passage of food. The band is completely reversible and can be adjusted to meet changing health or weight loss needs.
- Sleeve gastrectomy — This relatively new procedure removes approximately 80 percent of the stomach. The remaining portion of the stomach holds up to 150 ml. of liquid or food. As a result, you feel full faster and consume less food overall.
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch — This procedure is often the most effective for individuals with a body mass index greater than 50 who have obesity-related health problems. The surgery uses a combination of several bariatric weight loss techniques and results in a reduced stomach size and decreased nutrient and caloric absorption.
- ORBERA™ intragastric balloon — This non-surgical technique can jumpstart weight loss by reinforcing portion control and healthy eating habits. A silicon balloon is inserted into the stomach endoscopically where it is then inflated with saline until it fills an area approximately the size of a grapefruit. The balloon is left in place for up to six months, during which time you take part in a comprehensive treatment regimen designed to refine your eating and exercise habits.
During your initial consultation with Dr. Naim, he will review your medical history, perform a detailed physical exam, and talk to you about your weight loss goals and expectations. Working together, the two of you will develop a personalized treatment plan and determine the most appropriate weight loss surgery based on your needs. The best weight loss procedure for you will depend on many factors and differs from one patient to the next.
Revision Bariatric Surgeries
The vast majority of patients undergoing bariatric surgery are successful in meeting their weight loss goals. In rare instances, however, technical complications can interfere with the effectiveness of the surgery, or the stomach may stretch or change shape and make it difficult to lose weight. Dr. Naim can help you determine if a revision procedure can help get your weight loss journey back on track. He offers a variety of bariatric revision treatments, including:
- Gastric bypass revision surgery
- Gastric sleeve revision surgery
- Lap-Band® revision surgery
Regardless of who performed your initial surgery, our weight loss surgeon can help you to revise your surgical plan so that you can find the best possible results for you.
A Comprehensive Approach to Bariatric Surgery
Since surgery alone does not guarantee weight loss success, Dr. Naim utilizes a comprehensive treatment approach with all of his bariatric surgery patients that includes nutrition and exercise counseling. Included in the cost of your procedure, you can also receive the following services or referrals for services that are designed to help you meet your weight loss goals:
- You will have access to a patient coordinator who can answer any questions you may have before, during, or after your surgery.
- Monthly support group meetings where you can share your experiences and benefit from the experiences of others who have undergone bariatric surgery.
- Regular follow-up appointments to track progress.
A National Leader in Bariatric Surgery
Dr. Naim is highly acclaimed for his extensive research and his career-long dedication to advancing the field of bariatric surgery. His work has garnered him numerous honors including:
- Faculty Certificate of Recognition for a scientific presentation at the Las Vegas International Congress and Endo Expo.
- Highest Research Productivity Award granted by New York Methodist Hospital’s Department of Surgery.
- New York Methodist Hospital’s Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Resident Achievement Award.
Dr. Naim is licensed in California and has been practicing since 2004. He is also a proud member of the American College of Surgeons, the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity, and the New York State Society of Surgeons.
If you are ready to transform how you look and feel, give us a call today to schedule your consultation. Dr. Naim and his team will answer any questions you may have, so you can make an informed decision about whether bariatric surgery is right for you. We look forward to meeting with you and going over any questions that you might have about weight loss procedures, preparing for surgery, recovering from surgery, and what life after surgery entails.