Dr. H. Joseph Naim, known as a national leader in the field of bariatric surgery, is a specialist in laparoscopic gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, bariatric revision surgery, and Lap-Band® placement. In addition to his extensive research regarding bariatric surgery, Dr. Naim in Orange County has personally performed over 2,000 weight loss surgeries using minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques that offer a faster and more comfortable recovery.
To learn more about weight loss surgery options and to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Naim and our expert medical staff, contact our office today. We can answer any questions that you have and talk with you about your options.
Dr. Naim’s Approach to Bariatric Surgery
Dr. Naim understands that obesity has wide-ranging physical and emotional effects. Once your weight reaches a certain point, it can be difficult to perform routine daily activities or to enjoy sports, games, or outings with your family. Obesity can also lead to numerous health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, and sleep apnea. To provide the greatest opportunity for permanent weight loss and lifestyle changes, Dr. Naim focuses on a comprehensive treatment regimen that includes diet and exercise guidance, regular follow-ups, monthly support groups, and a patient coordinator who is available to answer any questions that may arise. These services, designed to encourage healthy lifestyle changes, are often all included in the cost of the procedure.
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric procedures, such as gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, and gastric bands, can be life-saving tools for patients who are morbidly obese and who have been unable to lose weight through more conservative methods. Most patients who undergo bariatric surgery can expect to lose 30 to 50 percent of their body weight within the first few years following surgery. Many patients find that obesity-related health conditions either significantly improve or resolve completely as they lose the excess weight.
Types of Bariatric Surgeries Performed by Dr. Naim
Regardless of your personal weight loss goals, Dr. Naim Spaarloonregeling and his staff will work with you to determine the best surgical option for you, including:
- Lap-Band®, which is popular among patients since it is reversible. The band can also be adjusted as your health and weight loss needs change. The procedure involves placing an inflatable band around the stomach to restrict the passage of food and reduce hunger.
- Although it is still a relatively new procedure, Dr. Naim performs more sleeve gastrectomies than any other bariatric surgery. This advanced procedure involves removing 75 to 80 percent of the patient’s stomach. The remaining portion of the stomach holds approximately 100 to 150 ml. of fluid or food. This allows you to get full quicker and consume less food overall.
- Gastric bypass surgery separates the stomach into two sections and reroutes the small intestine by connecting it to the top part of the stomach. The smaller size of the stomach means you eat less food, and the rerouting of the digestive system means that the food enters the intestines quicker so that you absorb fewer calories.
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, or BPD/DS, is the most effective surgery for improving obesity-related health conditions in patients with a BMI over 50. The procedure uses a combination of techniques to reduce both stomach size and nutrient and caloric intake to produce dramatic weight loss results.
- If you prefer a non-surgical option, Dr. Naim also offers the ORBERA™ intragastric balloon. A silicone balloon is placed into the stomach using an endoscope. Dr. Naim then inflates the balloon with saline until it is similar in size to a grapefruit. The balloon can remain in place for a maximum of six months while you participate in a coaching program with a team of physicians, physiologists, and nutritionists to reinforce healthy eating and exercise habits.
The best option for bariatric surgery differs from one patient to the next and depends on many factors. After your consultation, Dr. Naim can guide you to the right choice.
Revision Bariatric Surgery
On occasion, a patient undergoing primary bariatric surgery may experience complications or have difficulty losing weight or maintaining their initial weight loss. This is often due to the fact that the stomach may change shape or stretch following the initial surgery. A revision surgery can help you lose weight that you may have regained following your initial surgery. Following a physical examination and a review of your medical history, Dr. Naim in Orange County will work with you to develop a revision treatment to help reach your ideal weight, including:
- Gastric bypass revision surgery to restore your stomach to the appropriate size and shape
- Lap-Band® revision to reposition the band to the correct location
- Gastrectomy revision to “re-sleeve” the stomach
Adjusting to Your New Body
It is common for patients to be dismayed by the excess abdominal skin that can remain following bariatric surgery and the subsequent dramatic weight loss. Being overweight can cause your skin to stretch, and the muscles to become weak and to separate. Dr. Naim can assist you in achieving the flat abdomen that will complement your healthier weight with an abdominoplasty, also known as a tummy tuck. The procedure involves making an incision in the lower abdomen through which Dr. Naim will remove excess skin, fat, and tissue as well as tighten and repair muscles.
Dr. Naim believes that nothing should stand in the way of you losing weight and enjoying the healthy life that you deserve. Most insurance plans cover bariatric surgery. We also offer Care Credit for patients without insurance coverage or whose policies do not cover weight loss surgery.
If you are motivated to make the change to a healthier life, call today to schedule a consultation. Dr. Naim in Orange County is your best option for weight loss surgery, because his education and experience cannot be matched. We look forward to scheduling your free consultation and answering any questions that you might have about weight loss surgery options, preparing for the procedures, recovery, and what life and eating will be like after the surgery.